Monday, October 26, 2009

Leader-In-The-Field





LU TAO
POLITICAL SCIENCE DEPARTMENT


Lu Tao is from Beijing, China. He came to America to get a PHD. He came to The University of Oklahoma because OU offers many advantages in the political science department. He is fluent in three languages, Chinese, English and Spanish. He claims from his experience that the department offers a variety of self discipline. He LOVES politics and that is why he is currently devoting a majority of his life to it. This is currently his first year at the university and he is teaching one government class (currently my class). As of right now he is just sticking to teaching and researching more and more about political science. He does not plan on attending law school. He said he simply does not have the same passion for it as he has for political science. I asked him if he is planning to ever go into politics and with a smirk across his face he simply responded "maybe..." I asked him how important it was for his students to learn about political science and he said on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the least important to 10 being crucial to the student's ability to function in a normal society he rated it as a 9 or a 10.

LEADERSHIP
I asked him what parts of leadership are the most important and he said knowledge is the most important. You need an exceptional amount of knowledge to balance out different conflicts. Also one needs a certain amount of charisma to demonstrate their entrepreneurship.

EXPERIENCE IN LEADERSHIP
He founded the United Nations Club in 2005 right here at OU. He was in charge of it his junior and senior year. He established it with the help of his friends working together as one. The club is still around today and he has a part in selecting the candidates for inheriting the club.

He of course demonstrates leadership every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11:30-12:20 during my 50 minute government class. He said the most important leadership trait he uses during my class is persuasion. He persuades his students to learn about politics and possibly discover the same passion he has for political science.


Lu Tao asked me if I was going to continue forward with my current major of political science and I said I was unsure because I am currently in a state of confusion about what I am suppose to do in my life. He asked me if I wanted to go to law school and I told him yes that was the one thing I knew I wanted to do. He told me an interesting quote, "When you are in an American airport and you are about to get on a plane whose final destination is China, there are connecting flights everywhere but you are not sure which connecting flights you are going to take. It does not matter if you are unsure about those connecting flights, as long as you keep in mind your final destination aka Law School that is what important." He told me to stay focused and to not underestimate myself and my ability to reach my final destination.

More Information About The University Of Oklahoma's Political Science Department At:

No comments:

Post a Comment